Translate

Monday, May 4, 2009

Meet the chicks and my little dudes!




Photobucket


Max and Eli are feeding the girls. We have five hens and plan to get more when we relocate their home. They love chasing them and searching for their eggs since one or two of them lay them hidden in bushes.






Between the girls and our boys, they are squishing our tomatillos and the newly sprouting peas. I had to buy a small 2' fence to outline the bean house. I also placed a doggie gate around my artichoke plant since they are eating all the leaves. Hopefully moving the chickens further back will them prevent the from chopping everything down. I wish I could train them to stomp out the weeds instead.


I hosed down the compost bin my mother-in-law gave me. She won it in a compost class we went to a few years ago. My sister-in-law one the worm bin. She also gave that to me. After many causalities the worms are now starting to settle in and are actually giving me worm casting (really good soil). Click on this for more info on compost bins. My boys step on the wagon and help me cut the leaves off branches and put them on the bin.
Since I didn't have much of a yard to work with at the begining of the year, I used a negleted kiddie pool as a radish and beet veggie patch. The veggies are starting to sprout and my hubby said they tasted good!

No comments: