Translate

Saturday, March 6, 2010

When life hands you citrus...

We have an abundance of citrus (almost ready for picking). I'm hoping to make marmalade, candied citrus peel, citrus curd- so if you have good canning recipes, please share. If you like citrus, come on over and pick your own and help yourself.
The artichokes are coming! My plant had been infested with aphids and a few lady bugs came to the rescue, but it wasn't enough to save the plant, so I had to butcher all it's leaves off. Luckily this plant is very strong and it recovered well and began to grow new leaves- as if nothing happened. I saw some artichokes at Home Depot for less the 5 bucks, but this plant is so huge, I'm not sure where to plant it. As it is, the arti above is in a weird spot in our yard.

I had sown a ton of radish, carrot and beet seeds in this section of our yard. While I see a few emergers, the grass/weed ratio overwhelms root crop productions! It is very hard to pull weeds out around root crops, because they are so close to the root crps. I just throw daggers at the weeds with my "evil eye" stare and hope they die.


So I've know for a while that my kale leaves looked alot sunflower leaves, but today as the first flower bloomed, it made it offical. At least one plant is growing taller and faster than the weeds!

No comments: