Translate

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Busy bees at work!









Here are two of my favorite morning bees: Eli and Sole! (Max is my favorite past-9:30am bee) Sole and Eli got up just after the sunrise to go pick avocados and oranges.


















As I went to what was growing that was new, I came across our beloved abandoned plant, the cactus. This is just any cactus, it's the one that you can eat the "leaves" or the nopalitos. Our neighbor Don Natividad (Nati) and Tony (his son) gave us some of these cactus when we first moved into our home. Ed planted them way (way, way, way) in the back against a fence. About a year later, we decided to put the chicken coop back in that far away corner and we found that the cactus had thrived in that area! Ed cut some nopales off and we grilled them up that night. Since then we try not to forget about this edible delight- it's the perfect plant: we never water it and it semi-protects against coyotes.

















(While I know I mention Home Depot a lot in my blog, I will say Lowes is my favorite Hardware Store- the customer service and friendly staff and great prices are way better at Lowes! plus a lot of the plastic flower pots look real and they are made here in the USA! As far as plants go, I usually find the best quality at Local Nursery [gotta support small/family-own businesses]) Great finds: I went to Home Depot to see if they had a water hose thing that I needed, when I came across a rain barrel! Just last year, I had called around all the hardware stores (including this one) and no one had any in stock. It's nice to know that consumer requests add stuff to the stores. Although the barrel is smaller then the one I have, it's actually nice that the "safety-cone-orange" one that I own. For those that are not do-it-yourselfers, they also sell premade x4 raised beds.

No comments: