Translate

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Enjoying a break!


Max and Eli are posing in front of the pumpkins we grew. The giant ones were planted in early May and were orange by Sept. We kept our finger crossed that they would last until at least October, and they have so far held there shape.
With the rains now upon us, Ed's shut of the backyard automatic drip water. I also went out to take some frozen goodies to the worms. I place over ripen veggies and fruits and egg shells into a freezer bag and freeze everything until I have time to go outside and feed them. It's a trick I learned from a fellow worm farmer. She said that by freezing the kitchen scraps it helps break down the food for them faster- which also helps prevent food from spoiling and smelling, the thawing helps moisten the soil and by freezing it she didn't have to worry about going outside every day, she just waits until the bag is full. I had moved my worm bins to a new location earlier this summer, just under my avocado tree. What I didn't realize was that there was a water sprinkler system a few feet from there and my table where my bins are on top of, has been slowly sinking down (only the two right legs). So now with the rain, the table sunk further in and my bins were very close to sliding off the table!!! I tried lifting all three trays at once, I couldn't get it off the table... So I had to lift each tray out individually and move them over to a nearby bench. I have no picture of any of this, because it began to rain and I had to round up the boys who were enjoying the mud... I dropped one of the trays on the floor and lost at least one hundred worms. The chickens had a feast and with ten of them by my feet, I couldn't see past there feathers to pick them up.
On Thursday (if it doesnt' rain too much), I'm heading outside to plant some sweet peas along all the fencing area and the peacock ex home/temp tool shed/my thinking space. I haven't had much luck of anything growing there, so hopefuly I'll have a winter's luck crop. I'm also planning to sow some more onions and garlic.

No comments: